Friday, April 17, 2009

Princess Please Give Me Something Worthwhile to Do!

Once upon a time there was a beautiful princess. This princess, however, didn't live in a castle. Her father, the king, had fallen on hard times, and the family was forced to make some changes. Accordingly, the royal family had sold the castle to a foreign corporation and moved into a modest three bedroom home in the suburbs.

The princess, whose name was Arabella, enrolled in the local high school, where she found that her fellow students were unaware of her heritage. They were not interested at all in Arabella's past life, but spent their time (free and otherwise) texting one another and hanging out at the mall. Arabella found this behavior puzzling, but, wanting to fit in, went to the mall to look for a cell phone. She figured that if she was seen hanging out at the mall with a cell phone, the friends would come.

That's all I've got. I just started typing and the story came to me. At least this much. I've got nothing more. I'm sure that eventually Arabella found some friends; she probably even found popularity. She was beautiful, after all. But maybe not. I really don't know. Perhaps she found her new life to be extremely lonely. Not that she had more friends when she lived in the castle. Just that now she knew what she was missing. Isn't that what its all about? We're fine, until we see what we've been missing, and then suddenly, with the same as we've always had, or sometimes even more, we are no longer fine. Anyway, Arabella may have made a better queen for her experience. Or maybe not. Maybe she started amassing uzis and grenades and killed everyone in her school, thus bringing democracy to her country. I really don't know. I just wanted to type something so that when my housekeeper came into the room she would think that I've been extremely busy, rather than knowing the truth--I was playing games, bored out of my mind while trying to stay out of her way.

3 comments:

  1. Lewis says: I hate it when my housekeeper is doing all the cleaning and I have to pretend I'm doing something to quite all those guilty feelings of having someone clean up my mess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm guessing that she got the cell phone, but the friends didn't come. So next she noticed that everyone liked to joke around together about the latest popular sitcom, so she started watching that. But still no friends. So she starts playing video games, buys an IPOD, wears low-rise jeans - no luck. Eventually she decides to talk to another girl to find out what she's been doing wrong. As she greets the girl, the girl welcomes her and tells the princess that all the kids have been wanting to meet her, but were too shy to introduce themselves. Thus the princess learns that the best way to make friends is to talk to people, and get to know them - because sometimes the people around you are feeling just as shy as you are. And she becomes one of the friendliest, most outgoing kids in school, and never lacks for friends again.

    ReplyDelete